Monday, August 16, 2010

Mulligans and Slap Shots

Dave and I love mini golf. We go a lot and enjoy trying new courses as well as going to the same courses again and again. We have a good time and generally create a pretty close match, with mild competitiveness and a lot of fun.


Last week we realized we hadn't been out at all this summer. Probably because it's been so freakin' hot this summer, we've preferred to spend our time in air conditioning or in the pool. So Friday night after dinner we decided to visit Mulligan's, the closest course to us. It's pretty fun and we definitely have both had good and bad games there.

One of the things we like about Mulligans are the goofy spinners at each hole. Each player spins the wheel and has to play the hole according to the rule the spinner lands on. Some of them can be beneficial--like if you get a hole in one, you can take 2 points off your score. Some are a little challenging--like stand on one leg for your first putt or hit the ball with the wrong end of your club. And there's the just plain mean--like you get to move any opponent's ball after their first shot.


We decided to play this game straight since it was fairly busy that night and the mischief can add time. The couple behind us was a little annoying, so I wasn't interested in feeding that fire. Although in hindsight, we probably should've played goofy since it may have helped my game (or hurt Dave's, which is just as good).


We had a good time, despite the fact that I started losing on only the 4th hole. I always suck on that hole, but Friday it was a particular challenge. It's a complete right angle, with the short leg going up hill and just because that's not challenging enough, they put a big rock right in the center of the corner where your ideal line would be to take the turn. I got my ball stuck behind the rock, completely unhittable. And then, when I went to place it out, I couldn't get it to stop rolling back down the hill. After several attempts, I looked at Dave and said I'd just take the 6 on that hole, defeated.


We still had fun, although that 4th hole completely messed with my mojo. I played ok, just not as good as I have before. I was keeping score and at some point I'd noticed that Dave was doing really well on the par 3 holes, getting a birdie on most of those. However, on the par 2 holes, he was mostly making bogey. We were nearing the end and I was ready to accept defeat when Dave just puts the nail in my coffin. Yup. A hole in one on the 18th hole.


He ended up 3 over par; I was...well, more than that. But we still had a good time. Mulligan's also has a little arcade and we noticed they had an air hockey table, which is also something we like to do. Except I'm really bad at that. Most of the time I can hold my own on the mini golf course, but I just can't stop the air hockey puck from going it, nor can I get those sneaky shots past Dave. But we have fun anyway.


We put in our quarters and Dave got his game face on. True to form, he started off kicking my butt; I think the score was 3-0. And then the unthinkable happened. I scored. And then I scored again. And then I was stopping his shots and making him nervous by getting more shots in and few really close ones. Could I actually win this game?


Turns out no. Apparently the table had a timer on it and our quarters didn't last long enough for me to make a complete comeback, so I technically lost the game. But I put on a pretty good show and am confident that maybe one day I'll actually beat him.

No comments:

Post a Comment