Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Babies!

This is one of those good posts with lots of pictures!

On Saturday, Dave and I drove to Poughkeepsie for Kate's baby shower. This is Kate and her husband Andy.

We met Kate and Andy in college. Kate was actually the first person I met at college since we attended the same Orientation over the summer. I think we were in the same group and that's how we got to know each other. Funny thing--our moms also got along and when we got together for lunch they were already chatting away.

This is Kate's bump. And Mere's bump too.

Actually this is from 2 weeks ago since the pictures I took on Saturday didn't show good bumpage.

Anyway, the day was gorgeous. The humidity finally broke after a month and we had blue skies the whole way. We arrived a little early and were able to help Kate's mom and sister finish getting ready. Since the day was lovely, the entire shindig was outside. Kate's parents tented a portion of the lawn for the baby shower activities. And then the boys utilized other parts of the lawn. But more on that later.

Since boys were also welcome, we enjoyed lunch first and the followed it up by sending off the menfolk to do their thing while we ooh'd and ahh'd and made a fuss over Kate, presents and Baby Henry (shut up, Andy. That's his name.)

It didn't come out too well, but the suggested name on that entry is in fact Henry.

There was only one game which was pretty cute. Kate's mom had gotten a ton of baby socks and split them into two piles. Each team had to sort, match and fold their socks, the first team done being the winner. Some of the socks were pretty cute and Kate certainly shouldn't have to buy any for a while.


So while we were doing this, the guys were playing golf. On the premises. Yup. Kate's dad had set up a 9 hole course and split the guys into twosomes. Each twosome got 2 clubs and each player got a foam golf ball with which to work his magic. Dave said it was a great time (although he's says he won, so maybe that's why). They did seem to be having a good time, though.

Yeah, apparently half these guys never even played golf before. And the other half didn't realize they were foam balls.

Transcript of conversation between Kate and Andy after the golf game:

Kate: How'd you do?
Andy: I got a 46.
Kate: On 9 holes?
Andy: Yeah.
Kate: Is that good?
Andy: Uhhh...No.

Ok, so here's the part I'm really excited about. My gift to Kate and the baby! I've been itching for a month to tell you about this, but I know Kate reads this, so I couldn't spoil the surprise.

I'd gotten some great gift suggestions from another friend who recently had a baby, so I put together a basket with some essentials and some fun stuff. I bought a sturdy basket they can use in the baby's room for whatever needs to be corralled. I had to get some Boston Red Sox gear (Kate is a huge fan, her dad not so much. Stupid Yankees.), a book because every baby needs a library, and some essentials from the drug store because you don't know you need it until you need it. Dave's contribution was the Bordeaux's Butt Paste. It was also Andy's favorite part.

My favorite part, however, was this:

My first baby blanket! It's not perfect--there are a few imperfections on the blue edging that I attempted to even out with the border, but I'm proud of it. I did it in about a week (yeah, that first week in July where it was almost 100 degrees everyday I was playing with yarn), mostly during the drive to Allentown with Dave's mom for his cousin's fiance's bridal shower. Kate and her mom also crochet and Kate's mom made them an absolutely gorgeous crib blanket, but I know that babies like to spit up,so hopefully this can serve the purpose when the other is in the wash, or maybe work for travel.

The beautiful blanket from Kate's mom.

Overall it was a great day. I'm so glad we were able to go and see Kate and Andy again and celebrate with them. I can't wait to meet Baby Henry! (Andy--seriously, just accept the inevitable.)

2 comments:

  1. Haha, I love it! Especially the subtle hints to Andy. And I'm honored to be in the first post with names instead of initials.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope Andy realizes that this is completely without your prodding. If he liked Henry and you liked Jebediah or Bentley or Baby-Dizzle, I would be harassing you instead.

    ReplyDelete