Thursday, October 7, 2010

Spamalot

The traditional anniversary gift for the first year of marriage is paper. So for our anniversary last month, I bought Dave tickets to see the Broadway musical Spamalot when it came to the Hanover Theatre in Worcester this past weekend.

Dave is a Monty Python fan. He's not a crazy, ridiculous fan, but there are occasional quotes that fly out randomly and he and his old roommate, Ben, can recite the beginning of Life of Brian. Or Meaning of Life. I'm not sure which one. Because I don't care. It must mean I love him because I'm really not a fan. It's just a type of humor that I'm amused with for about 30 seconds and then get annoyed.

So it was a try gesture of love that I bought two tickets with the intent of being in the audience myself. Friday night we headed down to Worcester, our first time visiting the Hanover Theatre which was really nice. Built in 1904, the theatre has undergone massive renovations and renewed commitment to the performing arts. Our seats were a little snug, but the ambiance was wonderful and the building is very pretty. It was actually a much nicer performance space than some of the places we've been to in Boston that are about the same age.


Image from monthypythonsspamalot.com


I'd heard great things about the show, so I actually wasn't dreading it. After all, it did win a Tony. A musical and theatrical interpretation of the film Monty Python and the Holy Grail, there were many funny moments. I particularly enjoyed the character of Sir Lancelot and the encounter between King Arthur and the French. So I was pleasantly surprised that I laughed as much as I did. And Dave of course liked it. He did tell me that it was watered down, so I imagine that's why I had fun. They probably made it appeal to a broader audience, and it was still fun.

Dave and I really enjoyed ourselves. I'm not sure I'd get balcony seats again (even I didn't have enough legroom), but I think we'll definitely go again. They are showing Avenue Q in the spring, and although we've already seen this show, it was so funny we'd absolutely see again, hopefully with some friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment