Friday, October 8, 2010

Class FAIL

All summer and into fall I've been diligently working of various crochet projects, including a bunch of scarves I've completed for Miles of Smiles while on the train. I'm doing ok once I know a stitch, but sometimes the patterns are a little difficult for my to understand. So I thought it was time for another class.

In August, Joann Fabrics had an open house, offering 50% off classes if you signed up that day. Thinking this was perfect opportunity, I signed up to Crochet 201, an intermediate course. That class was scheduled for this past Sunday, and although I was bitter that it fell during football hours, I committed. (And I grew even more bitter when I realized there was a slight possibility I would be able to watch the Steeler game since the Patriots didn't play on Sunday. But they didn't show it, so nothing lost.)

I arrived at the store and purchased my supplies, although my colors were completely different than the list suggested. I figured I'd make it work. I had brought a scarf project to work on while I waited for class to begin, so I went back to the classroom to settle in. Although it was 12:00 pm (when class was to begin), there was no one else in the room. This didn't look good.

But I kept positive and a few minutes later an employee (who I later found out was named Renee) came into the room to get something from a rather unkept administrative area in the room. I continued working on my project and after a few minutes, I asked her, "So, is the class still scheduled for today?"

Renee: Oh. I don't know. I thought you were the instructor since you were already here.

Me: Nope, I'm signed up for the class.

Renee: Ok. I don't really know anything about the education area, so let me see what I can find out.

She went away and a few minutes after that, another woman, not an employee, came into the classroom. I asked her if she was the instructor, and she said no. I filled her in on the situation. We ended up having a nice conversation and I was actually able to help her figure out an issue she was having with a pattern while we waited for an updated.

While we talked, Renee came back to say that they were trying to call the instructor, but were going to wait a few minutes to see if she was just running late. It was 12:15 pm.

Me: Ok. But at some point we need to decide that this isn't going to happen. Because I'm not waiting until 3 (class scheduled end time) to find out the instructor isn't coming.

Renee: Oh, no! I'll call her right now. I wouldn't expect you to wait that long.

And she did get on the phone. While I was speaking with the other student, Renee was able to get in touch with the instructor. When she hung up, she filled us in. Apparently in the less than 6 months that the store has been open, they've had 3 different Education Coordinators, but no actual education coordination. The instructor had expressed to the Coordinator that she was uncomfortable teaching the pattern for the class and wanted to cancel it until she could understand the pattern better (apparently there was an error). Either this wasn't communicated properly or the coordinator didn't understand or completely ignored it, because the class was never canceled.

Renee was very apologetic and took us up to the front to personally ring our refunds for the course (and for the materials I bought 30 minutes prior). So from the time I left the house to the time I left the store was about 45 minutes of time I won't get back. So I know you're wondering: Did you ask them to compensate for your time since it was their mistake.

No. And I have good reason, too.

From the moment I voiced concern to Renee, she immediately jumped in, to an area she had nothing to do with, figured out the problem, solved it, was genuinely apologetic, and without question returned the fees. She even told us when the Education Coordinator was going to be in and encouraged us to call or come in to speak with her.

So I didn't think it was necessary to suggest that she did something wrong and demand something for compensation of my time. And by the way, Renee isn't the manager. I actually never saw the manager, although I think Renee did talk to him during the process.

So I'm a little bummed that I didn't get to learn more. And I'm hesitant to want to take another class there. But I did get home before kick-off which was cool, even if it wasn't the Steelers.

No comments:

Post a Comment