Friday, October 29, 2010

Don't Make Him Angry

After Dave caught his latest mouse, he reset the traps just in case.  I'd thought I'd heard one of the traps go off yesterday morning as I woke up, but since it went so quickly and there was no residual noise, I promptly forgot about it in my sleepy fog.  Then last night, when Dave and I went to bed, I remembered.

Me:  I think you might have caught another one.

Dave: Oh, I should check that tomorrow then.

Not 5 seconds later we heard a scratchy scratch sound coming from the ceiling above our bed.  We pondered for a while what a mouse could possibly be doing that created such a loud noise.  I'm still convinced that it's a squirrel rolling acorns, but Dave disagrees.  There just is no other explanation.  We used to have a hamster (his name was Fezzik and he was awesome).  Despite that he lived in the room right next to us, with his cage and hamster wheel on our shared wall, he never made as much noise as these "mice" in our attic.  Therefore, it must be something other than a mouse. 

Fezzik

At one point I yelled at the mouse to shut up because I wanted to go to sleep and it actually did stop making noise.  Several hours later, I was stirred awake by the same acorn-rolling shenanigans. It was 3:45 am.  How rude.  

Well, it turns out I wasn't the only one whose sleep was disturbed by this uninvited guest.  About 20 minutes later, I stirred again, hearing REALLY BIG mouse in the attic.  And then I noticed Dave wasn't in bed.  And then I noticed the hall light was on.  And then I heard Dave come up from the basement with the ladder and climb up into the attic.

Me: Uh-oh.  That mouse is in trouble now.

After another 10 minutes of hearing the REALLY BIG mouse scour the attic, it finally left the attic and came back into bed.  I asked him what he was doing.

Dave: Resetting the traps.  I caught one.  

Me: It sounded like you were walking around up there.

Dave: I was searching for the mouse.  

Clearly at 4 am Dave's faculties weren't all there, because I would have assumed the mouse would just run and hide the moment Dave opened the attic and the light shined in.  But apparently this was personal since it caused Dave to get out of bed and go mouse-hunting at that hour.

Me: Are you sure it's not a squirrel?

Dave: I did not find a squirrel or evidence of one.  There were no acorns.

Me: Damn.

Less than a minute later: Scratchy, scratch, acorn roll.

Dave: Go find the peanut butter, you little bastard.

I don't know if he heard Dave or not, but he did stop making noise.  Does anyone else think this is shaping into a Wile E. Coyote/Road Runner cartoon?

I'll let you know if the ACME boxes start coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment