Monday, June 14, 2010

Will Work for Free ?

I've toyed with you long enough. I know I've mentioned the new job, so I've got to give you the updates.

About 2 months ago, the faculty member that runs the executive program I worked on asked me to apply to be the Unit Coordinator in her faculty Unit (she is also the Unit Head). Completely blindsided, I was flattered that she thinks so highly of my work that she wanted me to work for her. The position is a promotion over my other job, with totally different responsibilities and tasks. After getting support from both my manager and my director, I applied and made my way through 4 rounds of interviews, including one with the faculty member who was as perplexed as I was that we needed to do a "formal" interview since she was the one that wanted to hire me on the spot! About 3 weeks after the initial conversation, I was offered the position.

With the position being a promotion, it would seem a salary increase would be in order. Well, yes and no. My position with the executive programs was overtime eligible and when I had groups in, I worked a lot of overtime. I made good money, but worked 50-60 hours a week to get it. My new position, while eligible for overtime, it is not expected unless there is an unusual circumstance.

Going into the salary negotiation I felt prepared. I'd just finished reading a book by one of my executive program participants, Smart Girl's Guide to the Boys' Club by Gayle Bulls Dixon, and felt like I knew what I was worth and the points to bring up in a negotiation.

When I met with the hiring manager, she offered me the position and the starting salary, which was a significant bump over my base pay, but fell a little short of my "annual salary" including overtime (when I first took my position with this institution, I was told--erroneous as it might have been--to look at my salary as the base plus overtime, since it was expected as part of my job function). Now, I'm smart enough to know that it was silly for them to tell me overtime is part of salary, but I'm also smart enough to know that an error on the institution's part is an opportunity for me.

I counter offered, still lower than my "annual salary," hoping to create a buffer and anticipating a July 1st salary increase would seal the deal. I also anticipated they would come back with a counter offer.

They didn't. They came back to me and said the salary would remain the same.

I was so defeated. Who does that? In what business world does the institution not anticipate that the candidate is going to negotiate the salary and expect to give a little more? I said I needed to think about it. Later that day, the faculty member called me about other business. After our conversation, she asked if I'd accepted the offer. I explained that I was a little disheartened by the salary and needed time to reconcile the difference and see if this would be a smart financial decision for me and my family. She was none to pleased when I gave her the numbers on the situation and offered me her support and some talking points to bring up.

The next morning I received a call with a counter offer! Unfortunately it seemed better at first glance than in reality. The counter offer accommodated for the July 1st salary increase from the institution, which meant I would get the increase immediately and not be eligible for it in July. After 2 days of back and forth wherein I attempted to negotiate on points other than money (flexible schedule, time off, etc.), I got no where. Eventually I had to really look at what was more important--the money or the boost to my career and safety of my sanity from not working so many long hours.

You already know I took the position. Do I think they won from a financial perspective? Absolutely. But I truly believe I that I made the right decision for my career and I've already found an outlet to do a little extra work to make up some money and come next year, I should be back on top of where I was in the other position. And in the meantime, I get to leave at 4:00 pm every day and spend time doing things for myself in the evening, like cooking dinner and spending time with D.

So what's the job? Basically, I'm the administrative support for all the functions of the entire teaching unit. Each faculty member has their own assistant, but for projects and activities that fall upon the whole unit, such as seminars or recruiting, those responsibilities fall to me. It's quiet because it's summer, but I've met some great faculty and assistants already and I've truly been welcomed. And the cool thing is that I'm still on campus with all my friends from my old position, so I am still able to stay in touch and have the occasional lunch.

Don't think you're going to miss out on crazy stories, though. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before some faculty member gives me fodder.

No comments:

Post a Comment