Thursday, March 15, 2012

Open Letter to the Drivers of Boston & Cambridge

Dear "Drivers,"

Boston likes to say it's a walking-friendly city, and since the city is only 2 square miles, it sort of is.  I mean, you can walk anywhere.  But you shouldn't.  And you drivers are the reason why.  Because you fail to acknowledge anyone that isn't in a car.  Hell, you barely acknowledge that there are other drivers on the road. 

Unless you decide to pull my favorite trick: the non-moving violation.

Or as I like to put it, stopping in the middle of the damn road to let someone else make an illegal move.  Like, I don't know, pulling out into a crosswalk WHILE SOMEONE IS IN IT.

Maybe it's guilt from being stupid, rude and generally douchy, but at random moments a driver will decide to be "nice" and let another drive turn/pull out in front of them.  On a busy street.  During rush hour. Resulting in traffic backed up in the even busier intersection behind them.

This morning I was walking along the sidewalk, approaching a driveway to the delivery entrance of a college dining hall.  I walk this path every day and often see delivery trucks backing in and pulling out and appreciate the patience these drivers must have to wait for traffic in order to pull back out onto the busy street.  But that driveway, which actually has a crosswalk, is midway between two traffic signals, so it's never too long before the driver can get where he wants to go.

I was approaching from the right.  The delivery driver wanted to make a right hand turn. Clearly, this meant he didn't need to look to his right, only his left, to gauge his ability to pull out into traffic.  As I approached the driveway and stepped from the sidewalk to the "street," I was shocked and amazed to see a cab driver (of ALL people) stop and wave the delivery driver on. 

Let me reiterate: the cab driver, who had the right of way, a green light ahead and about a half dozen cars behind him, stopped in the middle of the road for no reason other than to let this driver out of the driveway.

WHILE I WAS IN THE CROSSWALK.

The delivery driver, excited and happy at the kindness of this stranger, started to pull out into the road.  Until I smack my hand on his hood and started yelling at him to remember to look both ways before he pulled out.  (Actually, no, I didn't curse.  Yes, I kind of regret it now.)

The good news is that this was a delivery van and not an 18 wheeler that often delivers to this location. The better news is that I think the driver was more scared than I was. (Serves him right.  Seriously, looking both ways is something you learn in kindergarten only to be reiterated in Driver's Ed 101.)

Morals of the story: Look both ways before pulling out into traffic.  Don't stop in the middle of the road to be "nice." (It's illegal; seriously, non-moving violation--look it up.) And for goodness sake don't get your panties in a bunch because a pedestrian is following their right of way in what is proudly boasted as a "walking" city. 

So, Drivers, be warned.  I will take my right of way and I will yell at you if you violate my right.  If you really piss me off, I might hit your car.  And if you keep it up, one of these days I swear I might need to rip you out of your car, GTA-style.  And if you can't see why I'm right, then you seriously need to go back to Driver's Ed.

XOXO,
Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment