Thursday, January 13, 2011

Why I Can't Complain

For the record, I know I really can't complain too much about the snow. I mean, I do live in New England, so I've been very lucky that the snowfall has been abnormally low lately.  And at least I live on a street that gets plowed no less than three times an hour during a storm (and sometimes when there's no snow at all--but that's only because the truck depot is down the street from us).

My friend Kate grew up in upstate New York and lived in Boston and central Pennsylvania for a while before she vowed that she was moving south because she hated the winter weather.  So she settled in North Carolina.  Good right?  Poor thing has seen more snow than I have in the last two years, and the kicker is that even though she's used to it, I'm sure it's worse for her there.  Because they don't have snow plows and rock salt and drivers that know not to keep their foot on the gas even when they are sliding down an icy road so their tires don't explode and set their car on fire.  So I really can't complain, because while we ended up with over 15 inches from this storm, I survived because I have a secret weapon.  Well, two secret weapons, really.

I have a husband who grew up in New England and knows all about managing in a snowstorm.  And he has this:


Oh yeah.  Go ahead and drool, Southern Snowbunnies.  This is actually our first full season with this bad boy.  Dave had a smaller one that he'd rebuilt so it would work again.  And then when it started to fail again, his dad gave us his snow blower because they get their driveway plowed and no longer need it.  So we're thrilled to have it.


DON'T stick your hand in there!


When Dave got back from snowboarding, he had his work cut out for him.  Even the tire tracks and spot where the Jeep had been before he left were completely recovered in snow. You'd have never know a car had been there for half of the snowfall.



Dave actually had to shovel to get to the snowblower.  But he made it and unlike the old snowblower, it started up right away, blowing the fluffy white flakes out of the way.




See the little pointy part?  I think my gnome is under there somewhere.
 I had to take a little video to show the wind and everything.  All you can hear is the roar of the snowblower engine, so speakers probably aren't necessary.


Dave decided to wear his snowboarding goggles while clearing the driveway, which was actually a really good idea.  It took him a little longer to finish since the wind kept bring the snow back to him.


So yes, I realize that I can't complain.  And my heart goes out to everyone living somewhere that is unprepared or has to cancel school because there's an inch of snow (really?).  Stay warm and be safe!



No comments:

Post a Comment