Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Putt U, Jagoff!

So remember when I said that the wedding on Saturday didn't start until 3:30 pm? Dave and I had some time to kill, so what else to do but find a mini-golf course!

We grabbed a local attractions guide from the hotel and found Putt U about 10 minutes from the hotel. With the slogan "Highest Degree of Mini Golf," we figured it would be a tough course and I threw down a challenge to Dave. Apparently the course hosted the national mini-golf championship tournament a few years ago. The winner did both courses in 87 strokes, which is the highest score a winner had ever won with. Yeah, tough course.

We got to the course and they actually have two different courses laid out. Not sure what the differences were, I asked the young woman at the counter, "I want to kick his ass, so which course should we go to?"


She laughed and explained the differences in the courses and Dave let me choose the Red course, which supposedly has less sand traps, but more water hazards.

And so began our morning. It was a great day, but a little breezy. The course was practically empty--only one other couple in front of us (about 3 or 4 holes ahead) and two or three other parties trickled in later, but we were all nicely spaced out so we could play at a leisurely pace. On our way out, I noticed many more people on the Blue course, but it was still pretty sparse.

The course definitely has a sense of humor. In addition to sneaky hazards and blind bumps and such on the actual greens, the signage was also rather amusing.


On the back of the scorecard, they list "Stuff you Need to know:" including "Shirts and shoes required (Slacks, Shorts and Skirts are also encouraged.)" Beneath that, they list "Other Stuff You Should Know:" which includes "Full house beats a flush" and "She loves you yeah yeah."

A few holes in and Dave and I were pretty close. On the fourth hole, I hit the water hazard and took a 6 on the hole since my capacity to remember how to play the game sunk in the water as well.


Another unusual thing about the course were the moving tees. On every hole, part way up the green, they had a red dot called the "Kid's Tee," which I thought was a nice feature. On most holes it was set past the first obstacle. A few holes also had "Normal" and "Pro" tees, depending on how much of a challenge you wanted.



By the end of the front 9, I was down by one. Not to be discouraged, I decided to regroup for the back 9. Dave teed off, and then it was my turn. From tee to pin measured 54 feet, and it was a curvy sucker with some interesting rock placement.

Well, I didn't get a hole in one, but I came close enough for Dave to get nervous.

Yup, that's my ball, and that's the hole. Sooooo close.

Unfortunately that happened more than I'd like to admit. It happened again on the 14th hole (Dave had to take a mulligan cause he didn't get it all the way to the top level on his first tee. Or his second tee for that matter.) And on several holes, I just missed the pin or popped out of the hole, thus incurring extra strokes right and left.

This picture does nothing for the incline on the 14th hole. Or the three-tiered levels to get up to the pin.

The scores were close and I was having trouble keeping track of who was ahead because it kept changing. The last hole was a long one, 97 feet, and I did crap off the tee. I bogeyed the hole and thought I was done for, since Dave made par. As we walked over to the 19th hole/ball return, I started doing the math. I had to add my score up twice because I couldn't believe it. I beat Dave by one stroke! He was so disappointed.

On our way out, we saw the young woman from the counter and she asked right away if I beat him. I told her I did, and she said, "Good job." I think being mocked by a 15 year old girl might have been more damaging to Dave than my gloating.

So far this year, Dave 1 - Colleen 2.


No comments:

Post a Comment