Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Open Letter to the Women of Boston & Cambridge

Dear budding fashionistas,

No.

No one wants to see that. No matter how skinny you are.

Last spring on TLC's What Not To Wear, Stacy London and Clinton Kelly did no less than 3 shows featuring women from the Boston area. I was surprised that they had devoted so many episodes to one region, but for these women, it was necessary.

Clearly, however, not enough of you were watching.

Each spring and each fall, the trends hit the stores and being that Boston has an inferiority complex to New York, the trends hit the streets in an attempt for the locals to feel relevant and just as hip as their Manhattan counterparts. Regardless of whether or not it makes sense. Would I prefer to wear a cute wool coat in the winter with a fun hat and fluffy scarf? Yes. But I live in reality and since I don't want to freeze my fanny off, I don a ski parka with a hood and more layers than anyone should reasonably be expected to stack on.

Speaking of fannies, that brings me to my issue for this fall: leggings.

I am not opposed to leggings, per say. I am however opposed to leggings when worn in place of pants. Leggings are similar to tights in that they are warm and adorable with the right outfit. And in that if you don't cover your hiney, you'll look like your forgot something. And that something is PANTS!

I'm not alone here. In an unofficial informal poll of friends, it was unanimous that leggings require some sort of upper body clothing with enough length to cover your derriere. Further, In Style magazine, in a recent article titled Wardrobe Transformations posted on MSN.com, noted the same thing.

It's hard for anyone to get away with flashing this much behind. You'll end up looking as though you forgot your skirt.--In Style

So, to the young woman working at the Aveda Salon in Harvard Square and the student walking across campus: Stop. Return home, put on a skirt or a longer top, and then go about your business. Because the next time I see this:


I'm going to stop you and say, "Excuse me, but I think you left your pants at home because I can see your cheeks."

1 comment:

  1. OMG is that a real photo? That's absolutely gross! (My students were doing this back in 2008 or so and getting away with it too!)

    ReplyDelete