Monday, September 20, 2010

Not Necessarily As Planned

This weekend Dave and I didn't have any specific plans or events on the calendar, which was nice. Instead of rushing around to all different places, we would just go on a whim and do whatever.

Except I'm Type A and crazy and still need to have plans for our unplanned weekends.

Earlier in the week, my friend Cindy and I exchanged texts and decided to get together for Happy Hour on Friday night, with our guys. Friday afternoon I texted Cindy to confirm and she wasn't sure. Being the beginning of Halloween season and being a costumer, she had people coming over for fittings that evening. Little did I know that as I was on my way home, Dave also texted to confirm with Cindy. Communication FAIL. Regardless, Cindy ended up having a longer fitting than she expected, which was fine with us. We ended up staying in and watched the new Alice and Wonderland (not bad, very dark, but not a bad version of the story).

Saturday was supposed to be partly sunny and a little over 70 degrees. We had "planned" on going to use the paddle boats our city's rec department had made available at a local pond, but since we are in New England, partly sunny and 73 degrees really meant mostly cloudy and 67 degrees. Not ideal pond weather. We did pick apples at a new (to us) orchard and got some wonderful Macintosh apples.

Sunday was a much better day, with the sun shining early. After catching up on all the pregame football action and confirming that no, I was not going to get the Steelers game this week, we decided to head up to those paddle boats. Dave has a remote controlled boat (and I have a little RC jet ski), so we decided to take those to the pond as well.

When we got to the pond, it was rather peculiar as there were no paddle boats nor any teenagers to facilitate them, as we had seen earlier in the summer. Bummed, we walked back to the car to get our little boats. Walking past the informational bulletin again, I noticed a sign for the paddle boats. And the line that said "Reservations required by 3:00 pm on Friday." (They only run the boats on weekends.) Being that our town doesn't actually have all it's ducks in a row, this was not something mentioned on their website, with the rest of the rec department information.

But at least we had our little boats. Dave bought me my jet ski when we first started dating and I had recently ridden a real jet ski for the first time. I had shared my experience with Dave and asked him to buy me one. He said sure (like any good new boyfriend should) and got me this:


It's great for the pool, and we even ran it on a lake. It's super slow and pulls to the left, but I like it. When we take it to the pond and there are dogs around, they get a kick out of chasing it.

Dave, of course, has a more "robust" boat. It's pretty fast and the dogs around the pond love it. It makes much more noise than mine, too.


We spent a little bit of time running our boats and enjoying the great weather.

Unfortunately, our afternoon ended suddenly when Dave hit an underwater rock and a piece of his boat's propeller was damaged. He says it's easily fixed, though.

When we got home, we watched some more football (I heart the Jets this week), and started settling into our fall routine of football, couch dwelling, and good slow cooker food (I made roast beef and apple crisp). And I almost completed a big crochet project (sorry, it's a Christmas gift, so you'll have to wait to hear about it).

Now, if only we could get the Steelers games instead of the stupid New England games, we'd be all set.

No comments:

Post a Comment