Monday, March 1, 2010

Can't take yourself too seriously

I am so sore.

But I am a dancing machine. Watch me get down.

I suppose I should back up. D and I like to play video games. D had a PS2 that we played together and then we both got PSPs for our commute. Recently we traded in the PS2 for a Wii and have been having a lot of fun with it. We just play goofy games and enjoy spending a snowy, cold winter evening together.

So last week, my dear friend C told me she got Just Dance for the Wii and absolutely loved it. It's fun and a great way to embarrass yourself or others while playing a game. Her son actually told her, "That's so wrong," while she danced to Ring My Bell.

I was intrigued. I went online and read some about the game, watched the hi-LAR-ious videos of other people playing the game and was hooked. So Saturday I bought the game, and Sunday all chaos ensued.

This is what I learned: I am not coordinated.

I sort of already knew that. A few years ago, I had a Pilates DVD at home and decided to try it. I ventured to our basement gym and popped it in the player. Although no one else was home, I managed to embarrass myself into hysterics for how poorly I could 1) do the correct movements; and 2) keep up with the instructor. I have refused to do Pilates ever since.

So it should come as no surprise that the first time I played Just Dance, I was bad. Really bad. The game scores you on Bad, OK and Great and at the end of your performance, it will tell you the percentage of moves you had in each. I was more than 50% bad for at least the first 4 songs.

But it was so much fun. I must have played for over an hour and a half yesterday. C came over and showed me how to do it (and kicked my butt on every song). Then my friend R came over and played (her first time even hearing of the game and still schooled me in 2 out of 3 songs).

I love to dance, I just never had anyone actually point out to me that I'm rhythmically challenged. The game wants you to be a mirror image of the dancer on your TV. At one point, D looked at C and I and said, "One of you is wrong because you two are a mirror image of each other." That would be me.

So I shall practice. And come my friend's wedding in June, I shall overcome my coordination and rhythm impairments and own the dance floor.

Or give everyone a good laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment