Monday, June 18, 2012

I'm the Best Wife Ever...Apparently

Back in April when it was clear that Dave was likely getting a job, I saw a Groupon that had Dave's name written all over it.  The opportunity to drive a luxury sportscar.  Seriously?  My husband, who often starts a conversation with, "When I have my Firebird one day...", watches more car shows than I knew existed and owns several of the Fast and Furious movies, really needed to have this experience. 

So I asked him if he'd be interested and (duh) he said absolutely.  I bought it on the condition that if he didn't get a job, then I'd get to drive the car (psst....that never would have happened).  After the Groupon came through and the reservation system was set up with Imagine Lifestyles, the company based solely on renting high end sportcars to people with nothing better to spend their money on but not quite enough money to indulge in one of these cars personally, Dave was able to choose his car.


There were five options: Mercedes Gullwing, Audi R8, Ferrari 430, Ferrari 599 and Lamborghini Gallardo.  He didn't want the Mercedes because it didn't seem interesting enough and we had watched an episode of Top Gear where Rutledge drove one and could get the doors closed after getting it.  Dave nixed the Audi because we actually know someone with one (who doesn't like it) and frankly, he could test drive one if he really wanted to.  Both a Mercedes and an Audi seem like more attainable vehicles.  Sure he probably would never buy one and certainly not the Gullwing or the R8, but the brand is accessible.  I was surprised that Dave didn't choose either of the Ferraris but as it turns out, he's just not that into them.  But the Lamborghini....now that's something I'd seen him notice on the highway.  Covet is probably too strong a word, but he definitely noticed the orange one zooming around Boston and liked what he saw.


On Saturday morning we headed to Foxboro to Gillette Stadium where they set up a course in one of the large parking lots.  I must love my husband because in addition to treating him to this experience, I actually went to the home of the New England Patriots to watch him do this.  Because really there is no other reason for me to ever go there.


It was a gorgeous day and the staff had things very well organized.  There was a reasonable crowd, but only about half the people were driving and things did move pretty quickly (well, they are fast cars).  The staff was pretty good about letting people take pictures of their drivers and generally made sure that everyone who wanted to could get a picture of their driver in their car at the starting area. 

Who's driving a Lambo?  This guy.

Dave said his instructor was great and basically told him to just listen and hit the gas.  Eager to please, Dave said sure and for most of his three laps he had the pedal to the floor.  Dave said he didn't get a chance to look at the speedometer during the straightaways but he did notice coming out a turn at about 60 miles per hour.



At work on Friday morning, I was chatting with colleagues about weekend plans and mentioned that I bought this experience for Dave.  My coworker Matthew looked at me and said, "You are seriously the best wife ever."  When Dave got out of his car, with a huge smile on his face, I asked him if he had fun.  He said yes, and then thanked me, saying "You're the best wife ever."


Eh, I do what I can. 

Plus, I figure between this and my failed trip to Germany, I'm due for something really big.

No comments:

Post a Comment