Friday, May 18, 2012

Packing My Bags

Last night Dave came home. Yay!  I missed having him around and even though it was for a good cause (work and all), I was glad to have him home.  While we were catching up, we talked about his two upcoming trips--another to Chicago for a day or so in mid-June and then a trip to Germany at the end of June for a week long training at their company headquarters.

He also told me about some of the sage advice he got from Jason, the sales representative he shadowed in Pittsburgh (the first piece being to turn off work--literally, phone, tablet and laptop--every Friday at 4 pm).  I haven't even met Jason, but I feel compelling to sent him cookies.

We talked some more about Dave's Germany trip--the 12 hour flight; changing planes in a foreign city, just being somewhere so unlike anywhere he's ever been.

Dave: Oh and Jason said I should take you.

Me (a little shocked): Oh. ?

Dave: Do you want to go?

Me (I): Um, yes.

What I should have said was, "Dude, lead with the invitation to Germany."

I studied German for 12 years, from first grade through high school and have always wanted to go.  My schedule didn't allow for me to study abroad in college, and I haven't had a class since I was 18, but dude, really?  I'll have to pay my own way, but that's ok, because I'll be in freakin' Germany.

Dave doesn't have the details yet (well, he does know the dates and his flight, but he didn't remember them when we talked), but I do know we're headed to Schwabach, which is in Bavaria. I see much beer in our future.

In the interim, I'll need to brush up on my German skills.  Good thing I work with people who are from there...maybe if I buy them lunch they'll ignore the fact that my grammar is horrendous and I forget words...a lot.  But I do remember how to order a beer and ask for the restroom.  You know, important stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That's so awesome. Let me know if you're flying through Frankfurt, I have tips. Also, bring me a pretzel. :-)

    ReplyDelete