Monday, December 5, 2011

Oops, I Did It Again

I'm so late posting this, but last week was in.sane.  Just terrible.

So remember when I told you the story of setting the oven on fire?  And how I told you if it happened again I'd tell you.

Well, consider this me telling you I set the oven on fire again.

Not good enough, huh?  Fine, I'll give you the full story.

Despite the fact that Dave thinks I do this to convince him to get me an industrial oven, I didn't do it on purpose.  I waited until the day after Thanksgiving this year to spend the day rolling out all my cookie dough for shapes and cookie cutters.  I was nearly done with my Old Fashioned Sugar Cut-Outs and was rolling out Linzer Tarts when I glanced from my rolling station to the oven. 

Where I saw a spark.

Dave was in the kitchen, so I opened the door and sure enough, there was a flame sparking from the electric heating coil.  

Again.

Me: Fire!

Dave (upon hearing the proper word for the situation) popped into action.  I told me to turn off the oven and ran for the fire extinguisher.  After completing my task, I immediately thought of how to save the cookies cooling on the racks and the dough rolled out on the kitchen table.  Luckily, with no electricity, the sparked subsided then stopped without using the fire extinguisher (and more importantly, without loosing any cookies or having to clean up the mess from the extinguisher). 



And that's the story of how I came to finish baking cookies on Black Friday in my toaster oven, one painful sheet at a time.  Because I'm resourceful.  And because the appliance store was closed that day and Dave couldn't get a replacement coil until Saturday.




So Saturday morning, Dave calls the appliance store as soon as they open to make sure they have the part in stock.  Then he made me go pick it up and pay for it (at least I supported Small Business Saturday).  The guy at the appliance store was very nice, recognizing that he must have just talked to my husband on the phone.  I explained that since I was the one that broke it (again), I had to come and get it. 




Back at home with the new part in hand, Dave put my oven back together and the baking commenced.  Here's hoping I can go longer than 6 years on this one.


PS: Yes I was tempted to video the whole thing, but I didn't want Dave to yell at me.  Later he asked me why I didn't video it.  D'oh!

No comments:

Post a Comment