Thursday, December 8, 2011

Oh, I Set That on Fire Too

It occurred to me after I posted about my most recent oven-fire activity, that I also forgot to tell you about the other thing I set on fire last month.  Well, technically I didn't set it on fire.  But it did burn.  And it was again cookie-related.  What's really interesting is that I don't burn food--just stuff that shouldn't be burned in the first place.  Guess I'm just special that way.

So, again, I'm in the kitchen making cookies.  These particular cookies were covered with a chocolate ganache that I made in a small pot on the cook top.  Since I've got the electric stove and the flat cook top, I occasionally forget to turn off the burners (or I turn on the wrong burner. Like when I turned on the burner under the slow cooker and melted some of the bottom off. It's not my fault--when there's no flame it's hard to tell what's going on!).  Anyway, I took the ganache off the stove, prepped my cookies and went about my business.  At one point I used a potholder and when I was done I placed it on top of the stove.

Apparently I placed it on the burner that was still on (low) because a few minutes later I smelled something funny and turned around to see my potholder smoking.

Crap.

Before Dave could notice (luckily he was in the basement), I turned off the burner, turned the vent on high and took the potholder outside on the deck.


I texted out this photo with the message "didn't actually set the kitchen on fire."  When Dave came upstairs, I told him I needed a new potholder.  He asked why and I told him to look on the deck.

The good news is at least I didn't have the potholder on the burner with the plastic grippy side down.  The bad news is that I think these were a wedding gift (Sorry, Kate!  It was well used while it lasted!).

I've asked Santa for a new potholder.  Or a new stove.  Whichever fits in my stocking.

No comments:

Post a Comment