Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Wanted: Phone Calls with Happy News

I've been holding out on you.

Sorry about that. 

As you know, Dave has been out of work for about 18 months.  By and large, that time has not been terribly stressful and we've been able to get by and be happy and live our lives.  But since April, life has been a little chaotic and stressful and we've been living for the phone to ring and give us good news.

In a little over two week time-span between April and May, Dave had interviews for 3 different company's.  One (his third choice position) turned him down, but he was one of the top three candidates.  Another he never heard from again.  And the other company, well, we're really hoping for some good news.  Today.  Seriously, Dave spoke with the HR director yesterday and was told they should have an answer today.  It's been a long process, but a good one because they are legitimately interested in Dave and his skills and are actually trying to create a position for him.

Oh, and the job is in North Carolina.

Are you understanding the stress yet? 

Trying to be proactive and helpful, I started applying to jobs in North Carolina as well.  And I got an interview.  It was quite fortuitous that when we traveled to North Carolina for my cousin's graduation party, Dave had a follow up interview with this company and I was asked to interview with a school down there.  We seriously could not get over how well things were falling into place.

As Dave tried to learn more about the status of his position and I waited to hear back from School #1, I was contacted for an interview with School #2.  So I scheduled the interview.  And we put our house on the market.  (It's quite the puzzle.)  Then School #1 offered me the job.  I told them I needed to see through my interview with School #2, and they were respectful of that.  I went on my interview to School #2, felt really confident about it and told them I have an offer on the table and would need to know soon.  They were positive in the reply and said I should learn more last Friday.

But I didn't hear from them.

So clearly, the weekend was stressful with the wondering and the waiting.

As was yesterday.

School #1 called and wants to know my final answer.  I'm afraid I have to turn them down, even without hearing from School #2 because the offer is quite low and there is no room to negotiate up.  And School #2 is a better opportunity and can offer me significantly more.  Assuming they offer it to me. 

So this is my wish list:
  • For Dave to get a call offering him the position he's been looking for. The company is a great match and this would really help him make the transition into the work he really wants to do.
  • For me to get a call from School #2 offering me the position at a reasonable salary so we can relocate without too much heartache.
  • For our realtor to call and tell us someone wants to buy our house, preferably for our asking price (or at least not that much lower).

It's not a lot, really.

Thank you to all of our family and friends who have been supportive of this process.  It was something we kept to ourselves and our families while we moved from exploration to uncertainty to this is exactly what we want and need to do to move on with our lives.  It hasn't been easy and the questions from people have been stressful and hard to answer, so we appreciate your patience.  And we promise that as soon as we have the good news, we'll share it with you all.

I honestly never thought that Dave would be interested in relocation, but this is absolutely the best move for us.  Dave's exhausted all of the options for his career in this area and in order for him to be able to do what he wants to do, we need to be in a growing area.  I'm lucky that I can do what I do anywhere there are colleges and am thrilled that I've been able to even interview so quickly.  As sad as we are about the idea of leaving our friends up here, we are very excited about being so close to my family (and other friends).  It's a big step we've been considering for a little over a year and now that it's so close to becoming reality, we know it's the best thing for us.

Thank you for your continued support.  It means a lot to us to know that people want us to be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment