Thursday, December 2, 2010

Nothing Like a Warm Beer

If you couldn't tell from the Keisha vs. Grandma post, my Grandma is pretty hilarious and provides much amusement for those who know her.  She'll laugh at herself and has accepted that at age 87, she can do whatever she wants and get away with it.

So part of me wasn't surprised to find her drinking a warm beer one afternoon.  The other part of me thought she had lost it, since Grandma certainly can appreciate the tastiness of a cold beer.

While Dave and I were in Pittsburgh, we went with my parents to visit my grandparents at their apartment in their assisted living facility.  My dad provides beer for them like he's their dealer.  Except apparently the last time he was there, he hadn't put the entire case in the fridge.  He'd put about half in and then put the rest in the cupboard.

When we arrived, Grandma was happy to see us and excitedly exclaimed, "I'm drinking a warm beer."

At this point we all looked at her with question marks in our eyes.  Come again, now?

Grandma: I didn't feel good earlier, so I decided not to take my meds. Instead I decided to have a warm beer.

Hmm.  Either this was her way of saying the meds were making her feel bad, or she'd lost it.  Either way, we continued with our visit and eventually she convinced both my dad and Dave to have a beer with her.  They certainly couldn't let her drink alone.

After some banter about whether they could have cold beers or if they had to drink warm ones, they got their (cold) beers and then proceeded to drink them out of the can.  For which they were quickly harassed.

Grandma: Out of the can?  Yuck.

Dave: What's wrong with that?

Grandma: It doesn't taste as good.

Somewhere along the line a straw was mentioned, and Grandma thought that was a terrible idea as well.  Clearly the way to enjoy your beer is poured into a glass.  I wonder if the temperature matters.

A little while later, Grandma said, "Huh.  This warm beer is starting to taste pretty good."  Unable to contain himself, Dave said, "That's because you can't remember what a cold one tastes like!"  Which was pretty hilarious.  And because Grandma is funny, she agreed that he might have a point.

And then she questioned why she was drinking a warm beer.

For the record, Grandma hasn't completely lost it.  When I spoke to her on Thanksgiving, I asked her if she was having a warm beer.

Grandma: I'm never going to live that down, am I?

Me: Nope, sorry Grandma.  It'll haunt you for the rest of your days.

Grandma: Eh.  Whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment