Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Jumping in Feet First

I'm not going to lie, a little bit of me can't believe I just started a blog. But then another part of me (the bigger part) is pretty excited about this. We'll see where it goes.

I suppose an introduction is in order. I recently (three weeks ago) turned 30 and 5 months ago married my best friend, D. Life is really starting for me. Yes, I graduated almost nine years ago, have held no less than 4 "real" jobs since then and have lived a lot, but something's changed over the last few months. My perspective, perhaps my maturity. My response to life is different than it was even 3 months ago. I'm recognizing with understanding that life it too short to get bogged down by stuff that ultimately doesn't matter. That's a huge thing for me, because for a long time I really couldn't just let things go. And I'm looking forward to what adventures I have in store.

So what can you expect from me? I'm not really sure! My husband and I have been back and forth on moving closer to our jobs for the last 3 years (I have over an hour commute), so maybe some house hunting/venting. My husband is transitioning jobs--something he's been working on for over a year, but moreso now since he was recently laid off. Scary, but I think we're strong enough. And we're at an age where soon we'll need to decide if we're having children. My family and friends live 5-12 hours from me, although I've created a very close group of friends near my new home and some virtual friends I'm glad to have. My job offers unique and fun stories along with more soap opera gossip than I thought could exist in a single department--but that will happen when you have over 20 women ages 24-40 working together.

Overall my life has been good, so I can only look forward to my future. I'm not sure if 30 is the new 18 or 21 or 25, but I must say, I don't mourn my 20s and I almost feel liberated to be happy being 30. I have no regrets of wishing I had (or had not) done certain things in my younger days. But I do feel like 30 is an opportunity to say "This is who I really am" and regardless of judgment from others, to take ownership of that and be my own person. And that feels good.

I hope to entertain, bring perspective and maybe enlighten. But mostly, I hope to have fun (and expose you to as many LOLcats as possible).



1 comment:

  1. Good post! The past 2 years or so I've gotten a little depressed on my birthday cause I'm getting older- but I love how you put a new spin on things! I want your attitude to rub off on me this April! (oh- and I love the doodle cat!)

    ReplyDelete